A recent webinar series at Ultra presented five of the top vendors of ERP systems for process manufacturing. Those we welcomed – IFS, Infor, JustFoodERP, Microsoft, Sage – have built solutions onto or into their ERP offering that meet the many unique software requirements of the process industry.
Industries Within Process Manufacturing
Over five days, these vendors showed their respective strengths and ERP systems for process manufacturing. This industry particularly focuses on areas like food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and chemical manufacturing. While these verticals share some similar requirements, process manufacturers as a group have many requirements you may not find in a discrete manufacturing operation.
Key Features Presented in ERP Systems for Process Manufacturing
Some of the key features and functions demonstrated include:
- Microsoft and JustFoodERP’s ability to support many food safety and recall requirements
- IFS and Infor solutions for mixed mode manufacturing environments and asset management tools
- Sage’s up and downstream traceability features
Additional Functionality and Features of the ERP Systems for Process Manufacturing
Additional features demonstrated by the vendors included:
- An ability to support multi-level or reverse BOM
- Catch weight support
- By-product and co-product management and accounting
- Unique scheduling and supply chain requirements in operations, such as a continuous flow process or tank management and scheduling
- Material safety data or ingredients and labeling requirements
Each business will of course define their own unique requirements. But when considering vendors and ERP systems for process manufacturing, it is important to ensure the vendors’ ability to meet most, if not all of, the above requirements along with your company and project’s unique requirements.
Four Additional Factors of Importance
Ultra recommends our clients also consider four additional factors we believe are just as important as feature/function:
- Cost: Will the vendor negotiate? How much is maintenance and support? Licensing models? SaaS?
- Company: Who are they? Where are they located? How large is their company in terms of number of employees and annual revenues?
- Technology: What tools are used in writing the software? Are upgrades seamless? What type of deployment models – true cloud, SaaS, virtual private cloud – are available? How much money are they spending annually on R&D and upgrades?
- ERP Implementation and Support: How large is their team of consultants in your part of the world? Do they know your vertical? How experienced is their team? Who do you call for support? Who do you pay support to?
For answers to these questions on our participating process manufacturing ERP vendors and others, please contact Ultra, and visit our On-Demand Webinars page to request access to this and other webinar events.