Many manufacturing firms searching for the best ERP for industrial supply are facing the pressure of reducing costs and delivery times. At the same time they are asked to increase product quality and the breadth of product offerings. This alone is a challenge, but adding in an additional desire for continuous improvement in processes and profit margins and you have an exciting and challenging opportunity. Successful projects that include the best ERP systems for industrial supply companies will address these critical concerns.
ERP for Industrial Supply: More Than Functionality and Price Point
One thing to especially keep in mind is that selecting an ERP software solution is more than just functionality and price point. Key considerations to consider include:
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of over 5+ years
- Technology alignment to your information technology roadmap and staffing competencies
- Implementation confidence for a successful delivery of your future state expectations, timeline and budget
- Software agility bolstered by the strategy investment of the technology vendor that will continue to expand the product and accommodate your future needs
- Company synergy to foster a solid partnership relationship for the long term
Looking deeper into the software capabilities beyond core ERP functionality, key considerations in today’s industrial supply manufacturing must include the ability to ensure a scalable and sustainable business model that can address the customers demand for the ease of doing business (which can vary by customer), quick order fulfillment, and the complications of a global supply chain.
Business Transformation Requires a Team
Selecting the right software is only the start of the process, as the real benefits to the bottom line are made by transforming the means the company does business. Making significant strides in business transformation requires an experienced team to conduct thorough evaluations of both process and technology capabilities coupled with a comprehensive change management approach to drive success across all facets of the business.
The Critical Components for ERP
Ultra’s deep understanding of Industrial Supply coupled with our vast ERP experience enables companies to achieve new levels of success. To achieve this goal, the following critical ERP components are essential:
- Collaboration and cost control throughout the entire Supply Chain
- Real time inventory and warehouse management to improve inventory visibility, control, throughput and velocity
- Robust engineering change and quality management to keep up with the ever fluctuating demands
- Streamlining production methods and requirements planning by applying Lean principles and eliminating non value add activities
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) to track and build/improve customer relations to move beyond the commodity mentality
How Business Process Analysis Identifies Opportunities for Improvement
Even before the software selection or implementation is complete, business process analysis can prove successful in identifying opportunities for immediate remediation including reducing inventory levels and increasing turns, reducing customer returns through improved quality management, and reducing material costs through improved supply chain management. Working with numerous clients we have highlighted areas that drive efficiency in the sales and field service teams along with a streamlining of other internal activities in Finance, Inventory Control, Engineering, and Customer Service.
If your business is an industrial supply manufacturer or distributor and you are finding it increasingly challenging to grow your business, reduce costs or maintain competitive edge, Ultra Consultants can help. Our business transformation and improvement services coupled with our independent ERP selection services and implementation management capabilities can jump start your business transformation journey to achieve new levels of capability and competitive advantage.
To get started on your project, contact Ultra today.