Ultra is currently engaged with a plumbing supply products distributor. This customer hired Ultra to lead them through their Business Transformation through Business Process Improvement, Technology and Tool Selection, and Implementation Services. Through Ultra’s extensive knowledge and experience, we have used business process maps to provide our client with a Transformation Roadmap for future projects. We have also helped the company define a clear vision with a sound Business Case Justification for their ERP journey and transformation efforts.
Despite having nearly 50 branch locations across multiple states, the organization as a whole is still fairly small, with approximately 200 employees. The company’s current core ERP system was outdated, therefore not supported and unable to scale with the company’s growth plans. Through the use of current state and future state business process maps, we helped our client identify a fully aligned ERP solution that will expand access to critical information, and provide a single source of truth for the entire supply chain.
Reasons for ERP Implementation
In addition to scalability, a variety of other reasons led our customer in their decision to select and implement an ERP system, and seek Ultra’s help in doing so:
- Functionality – Several key functionalities are missing from the company’s current software that are essential for business operations.
- Integration – There is a need to merge operations into one consolidated system.
- Accessibility – Improved access to information and better management reporting would improve business.
- Automated Systems – Currently, the company has an over-reliance on manual systems and spreadsheets.
- Duplicates – The client has a desire to improve business processes and eliminate redundant data and re-keying efforts.
- Accuracy – A new ERP system would provide real-time, accurate information.
- Inventory Tracking – The inventory tracking process was identified as a large area for improvement.
- Customer Satisfaction – Customer service is a high priority for our client, therefore they would like to add flexible tools to support the organization.
Business Process Maps and Defining Areas for Improvement
After we helped our customer identify the main reasons for an ERP project, we then used business process maps to determine the main areas of focus for Business Process Improvement. These included:
- Education and adoption of best practices within the industry
- Defining and standardizing processes across the organization
- Improving the customer service experience
- Upsell/cross sell capabilities and programs
- Mobile B2B
- Improvements on grouping & kitting
- Fleet routing and planning
- Supply chain and logistics information and efficiency
- Creating more robust forecasting capabilities
- Improving pricing tools and comprehensive information
- Improving information analytics
- Improving speed of information availability, consistency, confidence
Current Project Status
Since beginning this engagement in February, we have made great strides in aiding the customer through their transformation journey. Currently, the Change Management, Current State Process Mapping, Future State Design, and Opportunity Matrix phases are in process, creating substantial savings opportunities and efficiency improvements. After these components are completed, ERP Software Vendors will be invited to demonstrate their capabilities leading to a fully aligned and affordable ERP implementation of best practice processes.
Our whitepaper “A Roadmap for Business Performance Improvement”, will provide you with more information on defining a roadmap for your Business Performance Improvement.