It’s a proven fact that education is an important activity in any business process improvement project.
Education is a critical step that the ERP project team must go through before they tackle designing improvements in business processes. They need to develop a vision of what is possible. We often think of this as becoming “ERP literate” and stress the benefits of ERP literacy to the manufacturers with whom we work.
Our team of independent ERP consultants lives and breathes ERP literacy during every project. Our team members allocate time to educate the ERP project team not only on concepts and terminology, but also on current vendors along with technology platforms, system features and functions that are available in today’s rapidly evolving technology landscape.
ERP Education is Power
Manufactures become empowered when they obtain ERP education to unlock thinking and explore possibilities. Traditional sources of education can include:
- Expert Analysts, Consultants. In today’s age of specialization, independent subject matter experts should offer a track record of success and a commitment to ERP education. A recent Gartner report gives an update of the world’s top ERP vendors.
- Software Vendors: When managed effectively, ERP vendors provide a wealth of information including “mini” demos of a business process. We often ask vendors to tailor an education demo on certain subjects for our client team. We also provide online demos where you can see top vendors go head-to-head. The vendors also publish case studies that can provide high-level process education and benefits.
- Subject Matter Communities. IT Toolbox is a perfect example where you can access a community to discuss a subject. Search the Internet for other subject matter communities.
- Best in Class Users. A credible source of information is a company that implemented best practices in your industry and achieved significant benefits. First identify those experts, and second get an introduction. Use consultants, vendors, and industry peers to identify those companies.
ERP Literacy Next Steps
ERP literacy is a key element in the foundation of a successful improvement project. Allocate time and resources to include as much education as you can.
Check out the following resources to begin your journey to ERP literacy:
- Ultra’s Online ERP Vendor Webinar Series where you can see top ERP vendors go head-to-head in online demonstrations. The next event starts the week of June 2 – 5, 2014.
- Ultra’s library of ERP white papers providing independent insight into what it takes to manage an effective selection project.
- A library of timely manufacturing success stories – hear directly from leading manufacturers to learn how they effectively achieved business process transformation.