Epicor is a privately held company with over 40 years of experience serving small, mid-market and larger enterprises. Epicor clients represent a variety of industries: Manufacturing, Distribution, Retail, Hospitality and Services. They have over 30,000 customers worldwide, with over 700 new logos in the last 12 months. Of those 700 new customers, over 500 went live within 12 months.
We recently got the opportunity to sit in on an overview of Epicor 9 at one of our engineer-to-order clients that is undergoing an ERP selection project. It was our chance to get a peek into the Epicor 9 ERP solution. Epicor provides an end-to-end solution providing embedded modules that address:
- Supply Chain Management
- Production Management
- Planning and Scheduling
- Project Management
- Product Data Management
- Service Management
- Human Capital Management
- Sales Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- Financial Management
Take-Aways for Manufacturers
One of the major take-aways from the demonstration is that Epicor delivers an embedded solution to our clients.
For teams heading into an ERP implementation, it’s important to note that some solutions offer an integrated solution of add-on modules addressing new requirements as they present themselves. The illustration below represents this approach by showing a 6-bedroom home with a garden and options to expand:
An imbedded solution, on the other hand, is architected thoughtfully from the outset; a complete system that addresses ERP requirements within the Epicor solution.
The advantages our clients realize with utilizing Epicor’s embedded solution:
- “One version of the Truth” – this is the biggest advantage of an embedded application. Everyone from the boardroom to the loading bay accesses the same database at the same time and sees the same data (assuming security privileges of course).
- Enterprise Search – familiar Web 2.0 techniques like global unstructured searches are possible in Epicor because it is embedded. It is not possible to conduct such an easy and thorough search into LIVE data with an integrated solution.
- Drill-Down Capabilities – because Epicor is an embedded solution you can right click on any field and access all related records with a single click. For example, from an A/R transaction you can see the originating invoice, form there the shipping details, from there the job, from there the quote and from there the marketing/sales information.
- Stability – an integrated solution relies on bridges between modules giving it inherent weakness. An embedded solution is much more stable. In addition, TCO is reduced and IT involvement in upgrades and support is minimized.
- Common Look and Feel – this is about much more than aesthetics. It has been proved that embedded solutions are faster to implement and uptake is much higher. Because there is consistency across the entire application for navigation, searching, reporting, access to data etc, users quickly become comfortable and confident. Even when introduced to a module for the very first time, the user has a solid understanding of the structure and layout.
- Single Sign On – reduces TCO and systems administration requirements.
- 3rd Party Integration – when integration to an outside application is necessary it is much easier to develop and maintain. All the data on the Epicor side is available from a single database with common field and table structures and naming conventions.
Many of our clients in the engineer-to-order and the make-to-stock markets are seeking business process improvements, and will find the embedded Epicor 9 as a great option to address their ERP needs.