Global provider of automated test and assurance solutions for networks, cybersecurity, and positioning.
- Spirent Communications had acquired 5 companies in 5 different locations: California, Hawaii, Canada, New Jersey, and London. Adtech, the Hawaiian company was growing at 100% a year and was operating on a number of Tier III disparate systems.
- They were in desperate need of upgrading their information system.
- A vendor selection team was formed and began to look at vendors for a new ERP system. The President and the team realized quickly that they were overmatched and overwhelmed.
- They were having a difficult time managing the vendors and getting information to make an accurate decision. At the same time two of the other companies launched similar searches and began encountering similar problems.
- Spirent retained Independent ERP Consultants Ultra to guide their team through a selection project.
- The CFO of Spirent Communications asked Ultra to expand the project to include all 5 companies and expand the scope of the selection to include CRM and PDM.
- The goal as stated by the CEO was to bring all companies under a single system so as to show one face to the customers, which means one information system providing one invoice to the customer for all products by the beginning January.
- The selection project was completed in July with the selection of J.D. Edwards for ERP, Siebel for CRM, and Agile for PDM. Deloitte Touche was retained to assist with the implementation.
- Ultra was retained as the Global Project Manager for the first phase, which included the implementation of all 3 components in 2 companies and the newly formed sales division.
- The ERP implementation plan was launched 1 week after the contracts were signed. A five-month implementation plan was established with project teams in each location. In that five-month period, the teams went through design, configuration, test, convert, train, and cutover phases.
- At its peak, the project team included 100 clients and consulting personnel. All three systems were successfully implemented on January 2nd in all three locations. The objective of one invoice for all products was achieved
- Proper management of the vendors allowed for negotiations to get the best price.
About the Company
Spirent Communications plc is a British multinational telecommunications testing company headquartered in Crawley, West Sussex, in the United Kingdom.
Ultra Independent Consultant Benefits
- Knowledgeable leadership during the selection process established an ownership of the decisions of users.
- Proper management of the vendors allowed for negotiations to get the best price. We stayed on track with accurate statements of requirements by all parties, thus allowing us to have a quick efficient process while adapting to changes.
- Effective management of a very large project at a rapid pace kept the project on time and on budget. It also allowed goals put in place by the CEO to come to fruition.
- The ERP Project Team successfully steered both consultants and client personnel through the project at a rapid pace while ensuring involvement by management throughout the process.
- Project merged multiple information systems into one system. This creates a single unified image to present to customers when newly acquired and merged companies come on board.
- The improved access to information creates better decision making for the organization.
Software selection and implementation processes often present challenges of their own. To steer you around trouble and help you drive success, Ultra’s experts compiled a list of pain points and solutions to be aware of as you embark on this journey.